Who doesn’t love bonfire night? It is a time for family and friends to sit around a warm and cosy fire and to watch the sky light up with all colours of the rainbow, but please don’t forget to stay safe! Here’s how to do it:
- Fireworks must be marked BS 7114, do not light more than one firework at once.
- Light the firework at arm’s length and make sure you stand well back.
- Keep naked flames and cigarettes away from fireworks.
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
- Always make sure you wear gloves when handling a sparkler.
- Hold your sparkler at arm’s length whilst it is being lit.
- Don’t wave sparklers close to other people.
- Always put finished sparklers in a bucket of cold water.
- Light your bonfires away from wooden fences/sheds and away from where children will be playing.
- Keep a bucket of water to hand just in case of an accident.
- Make sure that the fire is out by pouring water onto it and make sure surroundings are safe before leaving.
The biggest tip of them all:
- Make sure you have a fun-filled night and eat loads of toasted marshmallows.
A safe bonfire night is a fun bonfire night!