Sausage, chicken and squash traybake
Bonfire Party Barbecue- Remember, use your kettle barbecue or kamado as your outside oven if you are having a garden bonfire party so you don’t get the kitchen muddy to cook this great Hairy Bikers’ easy sausage traybake at your bonfire party, serve with a big pile of wintery greens, such as Savoy cabbage. Optional chilli flakes will counter the maple sweetness.
Many thanks to the The Hairy Bikers for this recipe.
4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
4–6 meaty pork sausages
500g/1lb 2oz pumpkin or squash, cut into wedges
2 red onions, cut into wedges
few sprigs thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
50ml/2fl oz red wine
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
200g/7oz chestnut mushrooms, halved
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh parsley, roughly chopped, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven/grill to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7./BBQ grill with lid (indirect heat method).
2. Arrange the chicken thighs (skin-side up), sausages, pumpkin and red onions in a roasting tin and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the thyme and drizzle over 1 tablespoon of the oil.
3. Mix the red wine with 100ml/3½fl oz of water and pour this in. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn the sausages over halfway through cooking to help them brown.
4. Mix the maple syrup with the red wine vinegar and then drizzle it over the roasting tin. Sprinkle over the chilli flakes, if using. Add the mushrooms and drizzle with another tablespoon of oil.
5. Roast for a further 25–30 minutes, or until cooked through and well browned. Serve with any pan juices spooned over, sprinkled with parsley if using.